SSD RAID?

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Apr 26 11:21:33 CEST 2009

>> Yes.  There is a 1Tb SSD-based RAID in one of the projects I'm
>> working
>> on.  Its awesome .. so freakin' fast.  Its being used as a cache.
>
> OK, but please note the word 'redundant'. Like, RAID 5 or something.
> Does that make sense, or can an SSD drive be expected never to have
> any
> failures?

Nope.  SSD's are fast and safe as hard disks, but you shouldn't trust
them just because they're new..

> I know, it's electronics, so it will fail eventually, but if it
> takes 20
> years to fail, that's not really an issue.

In our lab experiments with SSD's in the last 6 months, involving
quite literally hundreds of different devices, we've had two failures
already.  So its not as resilient as you might think.  Remember, I
work in the safety-critical labs at THALES ..

> In the future, I'd like to have a small system with a low-profile SATA
> RAID controller and four SSD drives, to have a small yet awesome file
> server.

In the very near future, you could do this pretty cost effectively ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan