SSD RAID?

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Apr 26 10:57:47 CEST 2009

> Perhaps a stupid question, but would it make any sense to make a
> redundant RAID array with SSD drives?

Yes.  There is a 1Tb SSD-based RAID in one of the projects I'm working
on.  Its awesome .. so freakin' fast.  Its being used as a cache.

> It's really nice software, so if you have an old PC lying about (P3 +
> 128 MB of RAM should suffice), you could add a SATA RAID controller
> and
> a couple of drives, and have a very cheap file server that will even
> download torrents for you, amongst other things.

I've just got a desktop for torrents on my new multi-core machine,
which has 27 active downloads, while on other desktops I'm doing a fat
git pull, compiling OpenEmbedded for beagle, compiling a new custom
kernel for the box itself, and 3 desktops full of browsing, as well as
my editor screen .. its very nice to have a big fat Linux machine
again ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan