SSD RAID?

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Apr 25 22:47:59 CEST 2009

Perhaps a stupid question, but would it make any sense to make a
redundant RAID array with SSD drives? Or would only RAID 0 make sense,
if any?

By the way, I've "set up" FreeNAS. The quotes because anyone with some
computer experience can set this up without looking at the
documentation, and unusually for open source software, that
documentation is excellent.

Anyway, an old P3 Celeron machine has been turned into a file server.
The drive is only 8 GB in size, but the idea is to set two of these up
and synchronise them over a VPN, so that my wife can always find her
files, regardless of whether she's in her office in Valletta, or the one
at home.

It's really nice software, so if you have an old PC lying about (P3 +
128 MB of RAM should suffice), you could add a SATA RAID controller and
a couple of drives, and have a very cheap file server that will even
download torrents for you, amongst other things.

- Peter