Any experience with AMD Quad-core?

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Apr 20 14:53:36 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 6:15 AM, ibi sum <ibisum at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hiya folks,
>
> I've been offered a pretty good deal on a quad-core AMD Phenom 9550
> system, and I'm wondering if you guys have any experiences with such a
> machine?  I'll be running ubuntu (64bit) on it, so I'm not bothered
> with any Windows issues, but I'd sure like to know if any of you guys
> have built systems around this setup and if so, what do you think
> about it?

Last I had read, AMD was having to play catchup with intel on
multi-core architectures, and I havnt heard anything to the contrary.
They are a little cheaper, but unlike in the past they also have lower
overall performance than the Intel chips.

Of course, none of my newer systems I am running have these chips in
them, so I cant give more helpful information than that.

I also seem to remember that there was a high failure rate in the
early batches of these chips?  or some kind of manufacturing defect?
I dont remember specifically.  Its been a while since I paid attention
to AMD.

Tony