Samplers are dead(?)

Aleix EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Sep 27 11:51:40 CEST 2008

Hi,
For me, samplers are not dead at all. Although you will not find any
only-sampler stand-alone device from the classical manufacturers, I think
that there are a lot of artists using them yet (not me, I'm
using Kontakt and EXS nowadays).

I think that classical hardware classical vendors have not adopted an open
view for designing new stuff compatible with compatible standards like
fat32 filesystem, soundfont and kontakt file
compatibility, usb/firewire connections and of course, integration on host
sequencing software (running as a plugin), all in a reasonable price and
with an operating system build from the scratch to get the best performance
in terms of audio latency, fast loading times and rock-solid stability.

In fact, if you want a portable sampling system based on a computer, you'll
spend more than $2000-3000, if we consider using a firewire 800 external
hard disk, a enough powerful laptop computer and also all the software
costs.

/*
 * Aleix
 * www.antarc.net | www.myspace.com/antarc