Samplers are dead(?)

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Sep 26 23:14:43 CEST 2008

I think there is a chance that sampling is dead as a standalone
device, but that it will stick around as a rudimentary audio process
in workstations for some time. Wasn't it true that the era of samplers
occurred because computing power for the job just wasn't there yet?

Of course there is the argument that we are experiencing stagnation
with synthesis as a whole, too.  The only place left for innovation it
seems is in the area of performant control - and if someone comes up
with something revolutionary in that realm then sampling and the
control of samplers is a good first fit for the methods. I look at the
waveedit demo for multitouch tables as an example.. This really is a
superlative means of controlling a sample based system so maybe we
will see sampling return as an art form rather than an edit form soon
enough ...

;
--
ibi sum