FX Tips

Gert van Santen EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Sep 26 13:06:04 CEST 2008

Gorman, Declan schreef:
> I understand that the use of the fx should be transparent when using it
> for texture and position and I do try to do that.

Personally I say, everything goes, as long as you think it's
cool. More cool stuff has been made by people who stumbled on
some really awesome stuff without knowing what they were doing,
than by people who went to school for it and just copied the
traditionals.

> My DAW of choice is Ableton and I am familiar(ish) with the effects rack
> but I guess I don't know enough about effects to get as much out of them
> as I could.  I guess a bit more research and experimenting with the
> effects and what each parameter does is required on my part.

There is so much to know about FX, that it is impossible to
explain it here. Moreover, I've got a daytime job to do
(hehehe... ;-)
Just go wild on the FX, experiment. The most important thing is
that you DO it, that's so much better than just sitting around
and thinking of how something might sound if you at least had
this or that machine.

One tip: use EQ/filter on stuff, not just a bit - but a lot. It's
very cool, eg, to EQ all lows out of a delayed drum pattern and
use that as an extra percussion track.

> Sorry if this is basic stuff but I don't have anybody to bounce this
> stuff off to get feedback or to just have general chats.  I rely on you
> guys to point me in the right direction a lot of the time. :)

But isn't that cool?!!!

--

:-)

G e r t   v a n   S a n t e n