I LOVE DSI.

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 24 17:33:47 CEST 2008

Hi Paul

Paul Maddox wrote:
> won't be a menu, think MFB Synth LITE II style synth (so, that answers
> the dsktop question)

Good form factor. I think these days people like tools with this kind of
desktop factor.

>> it would hurt sales a lot if the thing doesn't have patch memory.
>>  So many people (the Virus buying crowd) will be ticked off.
>
> I ask myself if I care about the 'preset kiddies', but I get your point.

I think you should. It's the "preset kiddies" who will buy your synth in
quantities and help you keep the costs down through economy of scale. Of
course you can be fascist about how you expect your customers to use
your product, but I think that doesn't help anybody, particularly
yourself. As a commercial entity, you have to find a balance between
your personal vision and the market demand.

>> For 20% extra, definitely go for patch memory. For 50%, probably not.
> Probably more likely to be around 30%

Still a goer in my book.

> hehe, thanks, that'd be good, personally I'd ship it with maybe two
> patches in memory and let people make their own sounds for it.

In that case you can just as well leave the patch memory aside (ok, not
quite). The thing is: Without patch memory and a decent set of factory
patches, you're locking out a large part of the customer base: Those who
buy a "soundbank". If you provide patch memory but no patches, you're
losing on both fronts: It's more expensive, but you still don't get the
additional market.

> With any luck and a prevailing wind I should have a prototype ready by March.

Cool!

Martin

--
http://www.navisto.ch