BBC NEWS | Technology | Google's Android mobile unveiled

Andy Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 24 17:24:10 CEST 2008

On Sep 23, 2008, at 7:13 PM, Andrew Robinson wrote:

> 2008/9/23 Peter Korsten <peter at severity-one.com>:
>> Tony Scharf schreef:
>>
>>> I don't really agree.  One thing I don't like is the way apple is
>>> picking and choosing which apps get published...
>>
>> Fair enough, but the consumer doesn't, like, give a damn. :)
>
> From what I can see, very few finished apps have been rejected just
> 'because Apple says no', the guidelines are pretty clear about what
> they are *going* to say no to. It's only the blocking of the fart
> noise generator that seems overzealous to me.
>
> Google's App store policy is currently unclear. Over on slashdot,
> there is lots of noise and confusion about android possibly being
> 'tivoised', and therefore unclean in the eyes of the
> lord^H^H^H^HStallman

I hope it does well, as that will push apple to open things up more. I
would switch over it it winds up being superior.

> I'm left wondering what they get out of the whole project. If it's
> open source, it can't be much of an ongoing profit centre. Is it just
> them showing off that they can do better than Windows Mobile on their
> first go, and taking a stake in the phone OS market out of principle?

advertising. its another platform for google to sell ad space :)

Your girlfriend calls - you get an ad pop up on the screen for condoms
- "going out for a hot time? need to stock up? here let me show you on
maps the closest place to buy'em on your way to dinner"

:)