New SID Synth

punkdISCO EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Sep 23 22:21:30 CEST 2008

Hey Marc

"One of the big + of the setup was that those chips were connected to a main
CPU that was able to change their parameters really fast creating complex
timbre coming not from only the chip but rather from the combination of a
fast controller and the chip. Hand in hand. These techniques are what make
music on gameboy/sid/NES interesting (hum, at least for some of us) and the
root what I was trying to achieve -and still am- with lgpt: applying it to
samples. Maybe think of it as a modulation like LFO/Envelopes but a lot more
complex since they where completely programmable."

Wow!!! An explanation for someone that was riding BMXs and chasing girls in
the 80's rather than playing Elite for 18 hours a day..  This makes complete
sense.  I wonder why the SID boys cant explain this very simple concept in a
manner that is, well, simple..?

Yeah, the lack of MIDI on the HardSID is a pain and there are other issues:

1) The interface could be improved upon as it really does hinder use (but
its only rev 1 so far)
2) Despite having 4 SIDs, it does not actually recall the SIDs correctly
when loading your track. This is very easy to work around and should get
fixed, but still annoying.
3) it only uses mini jacks which is forgivable(ish) until you realise that:
4) the mini jacks are so close that only the smallest of jacks will actually
allow neighbouring sockets to be used!  All the ones I bought from Studio
Spares don’t fit. Neither did the ones I already have..  Duh!

So, why do I waste my time discussing it?  Because it sounds so frickin ace!
Im really excited about playing you guys our latest track (maybe at the end
of this weekend). And no, it does not sound like a C64 indeed, Marc would
probably be the only one who could spot it if I had not mentioned it..

And yeah, the SidStation is great but I only envy its ability to clock sync
the table sequencer thingy and the proper i/o (including MIDI), but other
than that, I prefer the HardSIDs setup. Once you start comparing prices, the
chose really does start to learn towards the HardSID (for me, obviously).

Still, all SIDs rock..

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk
Banned by YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EvlOpBe0xU
"thats mental! and rather fkin ace too! cheers! dick subhumans"