Books,

Andy Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Sep 23 21:00:34 CEST 2008

On Sep 23, 2008, at 10:59 AM, S. Brodsky wrote:

> I recommend Iain M Banks too. I believe I have read most of his books,
> including the non scifi books. You could call me a fan of some
> degree. :)
>
> --

Oh just though of one I started recently - Flatland: A Romance of Many
Dimensions - Edwin A. Abbott. It's a trip.

Seems to be available online pretty easily -

http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/~banchoff/Flatland/

And for some reason there seem to be a bunch of amateur movie versions.

an excerpt from the preface:

"The reason is obvious. Dimension implies direction, implies
measurement, implies the more and the less. Now, all our lines are
equally and infinitesimally thick (or high, whichever you like);
consequently, there is nothing in them to lead our minds to the
conception of that Dimension. No `delicate micrometer' - as has been
suggested by one too hasty Spaceland critic - would in the least avail
us; for we should not know what to measure, nor in what direction.
When we see a Line, we see something that is long and bright;
brightness, as well as length, is necessary to the existence of a
Line; if the brightness vanishes, the Line is extinguished. Hence, all
my Flatland friends - when I talk to them about the unrecognized
Dimension which is somehow visible in a Line - say, `Ah, you mean
brightness': and when I reply, `No, I mean a real Dimension,' they at
once retort `Then measure it, or tell us in what direction it
extends'; and this silences me, for I can do neither. Only yesterday,
when the Chief Circle (in other words our High Priest) came to inspect
the State Prison and paid me his seventh annual visit, and when for
the seventh time he put me the question, `Was I any better?' I tried
to prove to him that he was `high,' as well as long and broad,
although he did not know it. But what was his reply? `You say I am
"high"; measure my "highness" and I will believe you.' What could I
do? How could I meet his challenge? I was crushed; and he left the
room triumphant."