Why the omega 8 has me so transfixed.

Paul Maddox EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Sep 23 17:33:10 CEST 2008

Tony,

 Actually, I've been thinking about this more.

> Ok, so whats so special about it?  Try this:
>
> Take an envelope with the attack set to maximum, decay to minimum and
> sustain to maximum.  Assign it to control an LFO's Rate.  Now assign
> the Modulation Wheel (or any controller) to also control the same
> LFO's rate.  Assign that LFO to control Filter cuttoff.  Now play a
> note..
>
> Once the LFO reaches the maximum rate in the sustain stage of the
> envelop, move your mod wheel.
>
> If your on a VA synth (or any synth with digital modulation), chances
> are you will hear nothing.  On the Omega, the LFO goes even faster,

That's wrong, it's actually BAD programming.
Consider an analogue Modular.

EG -----------> summing node -> LFO Rate
Modwheel -> Summing node

If you modular is set to run with control voltages of 0 to 10v, then
an EG with the settings you describe should go from 0 to 10V (max
sustain). The max input of the LFO control voltage is 10V, so it
should max out, and moving the modwheel should have *NO* effect.
If moving the modwheel speeds it up, it imples that your EG is NOT
reaching the maximum voltage and therefore not giving you full range
on your output.
i.e., it's broken or bad.

To get the effect you are describing you'd have to attenuate the EG

> Very few synths past this test.  My PEK cant do it (4 LFO's but all
> digital ones), the ATC cant do it (digital modulation again) and the
> SE1x can almost do it, but its LFO's speed seems to max out (though
> they dont change to square wave) well below the audio range.  Oddly
> the only other synth I have ever played with that could go into this
> territory was the Moog LP, and so I would assume the Voyager as well.

I would suggest that they all have either design faults or bad coding.

Paul