I LOVE DSI.

Paul Maddox EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Sep 22 13:00:48 CEST 2008

Martin,

> Getting the overseas documents can easily take half a year or
> even more - that might be too much time for an unfilled position.

Half a year? flippin' eck, that *IS* slow.
Most immigration things I've looked at seemt o be quick once you have
the points required.

> You can still network with them - if they know you personally, and know
> that you're in the market, you might become a long-term prospect for
> them.

I will do, I'll make them wish they'd employed me ;-)

I'll take the new monowave and Defender to show him at MusikMesse or NAMM.

> Sounds good. You'll also need to go through the whole business plan
> thing.

I know, I didn't do that last time, but I know a man who can help me with that.

> If you want to start your own company with venture capital, you
> not only need a good product, you also need to have a very good plan on
> how the whole business is going to run - the whole story from finishing
> the product, getting it produced, moving it onto the store shelves and
> handling repairs. If you can't be bothered with that, you'll need a
> business partner who can.

Here's what I plan to do ;-

- Build the prototypes (Defender and new monowave)
- work out production costs, getting quotes for manufacture in varying quantites
- Do some market research (expected sales, interest, pitfalls, etc)
- Work on a business plan, as you say, covering the full product lifecycle
- Speak to a friend who runs his own business (and has done many times
successfully for many years) and get his advice on my product and plan
- Update the plan as required
- Start visiting Shows and 'touting' my products with some of the
synth companies to gain interest.
- Speak to some venture capital companies and move forward from there.

I learned a lot running Modulus-electronics, not all of it good, so
here's the things I'm *not* going to do ;-

- Try and run my own company again, I just couldn't handle it, so I
need someone to run the books, orders, etc
- Start anything until I have the two prototypes built.
- Sell myself short as I did with the Monowave
- 'rely' on peoples word, something sadly I've found is that in
business you need stuff in writing and you can't trust anyone,
including supposed friends.
- Build each one myself, prodcution will most likely be done in the far east

But, note, NOTHING will happen until the prototypes are built and
demonstrable to people.

Paul