Back When Synths Were Beautiful

Michael Zacherl EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Sep 22 02:35:50 CEST 2008

On Sep 22, 2008, at 1:50 AM, Niall Munnelly wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 10:07:52PM +0200, Jay Vaughan wrote:
>>> http://www.bigcitymusic.com/i/cat/New/1000468_L.jpg
>>

>> lovely bit of kit, i'm so tempted to get one.
>
> I've logged maybe an hour total with one, and I was really
> impressed by it.  A friend recently had something different
> to say about it, though:
>
> Honestly, you don't WANT one of those (s1mk2)...but like all
> of us (myself included) you'll have to own one to understand
> why. They have balls...but not useful balls...that thing
> never sat in a mix.  It only ever sounded like a chainsaw
> taking my ead off.   It is both brilliant and boring at the
> same time.  An uber powerful semi-modular that at the end of
> the day ended up being a one trick pony that I never wanted
> to ride. The midi implementation is cryptic and horrible,
> though powerful and flexible too...much to it's demise.  In
> a word, the most bad-ass retarded synth I ever owned and
> paid too much for.  It is thin, (literally, the depth) which
> is cool.  It is grey-green, which is cool. but it is too
> much of one thing for the money. and no, I didn't 'abouse the
> distortion/overdrive knob too much all the time', either.  :)

that's true, in a sense.
But if used stand alone it's a real beast.
Eric added some Analog Systems and Plan B modules so far.
That's a killer combination.
The only thing I don't like is the module's form factor.
Ah, and like me, he doesn't use MIDI.

So, everthing's in the eyes of the beholder ... as always.

> I really didn't take that away from my short time with it,
> but I know this guy's taste for synths mirrors my own.
>
> Well, I like the Elektrons a lot more than he does.  Maybe
> he just doesn't like that kind of precision.

But Elektrons are not analogue ... nice machines though.

    :-) Michael.

--
nonconform? noiseconform: http://blauwurf.at