Back When Synths Were Beautiful

Niall Munnelly EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Sep 20 12:41:28 CEST 2008

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 09:09:41AM +0200, Jay Vaughan wrote:
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160284036622
>

> oh the times in the 80's and 90's when i could have bought one of
> these things for a few hundred bucks .. oh man, why have i been so
> miserable to myself and denied myself the pleasure of owning such a
> beauty .. grr ...

I'd always wondered why there were so disproportionately
many Roland instruments in Australia.  Someone explained why
a couple of months ago:

==
In the 70's & 80's, Australia was Roland's testing ground
for many new products.

Australia, being a small population and with a good
marketing distribution channel allowed Roland Australia to form up.

As a result, we over here have many more Roland vintage
synths than the American brands, Korg or Yamaha.

If a product did well in Australia, then it was released
further to other countries.

Some of the more obscure Roland products are also more
prevalent here - part of the "testing ground" philosophy.

There are probably more 303's & 202's in Australia than
anywhere else.

I am not surprised when someone says a particular Roland
model is rare in their country, but over here it may be rather
common.
==

--
Yours,