Hmmmm

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Sep 19 18:21:55 CEST 2008

Gorman, Declan schreef:

> Is there anything else I should consider?

Well, let's take two different reasons to why you want to use the W5:
* Practical: you want to use this capable Yamaha synth/workstation.
* Sentimental: it reminds you of your friend.

If we look at the practical side, we can again distinguish two paths:
* Using it as a controller: the W5's keyboard is superior to that of
your AN1x (I know, I have the AN1x and the EX5, the W5's successor). But
the problem is that you don't have the space, so this is not an option.
* Using it as a sound source: in all honesty, the W5 was discontinued 10
years ago and nothing it does is so unique that it can't be reproduced
by a more modern unit, an EX5R if needs be or a Motif rack, or just
software.

Which leaves the sentimental reason. I can understand that, I stick to
stuff for all sorts of sentimental reasons (although nothing quite so
drastic), but you have to be honest with yourself and decide whether
this is really the best way to remember your friend, or that perhaps you
could donate the W5 to a local charity, or people who give music lessons
for underprivileged children, or something of the sort.

In my opinion, that is the real question you should be asking yourself.

- Peter