Pre Amps

punkdISCO EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Sep 4 22:19:55 CEST 2008

Hi Micke

> Gert might have some nice things to say about TL Audios range of
> tubeproducts, if I'm correct he's got a 5052, but a 5051 looks more like
> what you're after. http://www.tlaudio.co.uk/

Im a little weary of TL Audio stuff as you can always find accounts of
people not liking the sound.  I sure this is just because the are popular
and so lots of people get them as a easy choice, don't spend time with them,
then become dismissive and critical.

Another think I get nervous about is tube pre amps. Again, I keep reading
techie articles that say tubes are often used as they sell units, rather
than always being the best solution.  As I understand it, it is extremely
difficult and expensive to make a "good" tube amp - you can get far better
results (and cheaper) using other technologies.  Paul White will often go on
about this very topic and indeed, its one reason why he likes the SPL
Channel One as its tube stage only adds 6dB, the rest is from some solid
state stuff.

Anyway, as always I feel like Im thinking about this too much. I have used
my desk's pre's for years and never had any problems with this.  Whatever I
get will be far more than I will ever really need or be able to really
appreciate..

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk
Banned by YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EvlOpBe0xU
"thats mental! and rather fkin ace too! cheers! dick subhumans"