Bhut Jolokia

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 3 15:26:47 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 6:44 AM, Martin Naef <mnaef at navisto.ch> wrote:
> Ron,
>
> Can someone explain to me the fascination of these super-hot peppers
> beyond the sports aspect? Is the pain worth the taste? Are these peppers
> just hot, or do they have a flavour that can't be achieved with
> traditional means?

Peppers actually have some of the highest concentrations of Vitamin C
and other vitamins.  Our brain knows this.  When you eat a hot pepper,
the brain releases lots of endorphins to tell you 'eat more
peppers..they make you happy' and also to dull the sting.  This is
why, over time, you become immune to hotter and hotter peppers.
Endorphins also make you feel kinda 'high', so its kinda a drug thing
almost.  I know a guy that has eaten peppers till he passed out (not
recommended).  He says it feels great till you hit the floor...

Tony