Wi-fi

Peter Korsten EMAIL_HIDDEN
Tue Sep 30 23:10:30 CEST 2008

So, we have this wi-fi network in our living room, that via a repeater
(old router, once hit by lightning, that can also work as a repeater)
and a big internal antenna went to my wife's office - 20 metres further
on. It used to work, more or less, but it's always been a bit dodgy.

So, the last two weeks my parents were here, and on the very last day,
my father kindly led a cable from the room on the roof (something
typical Maltese) to my wife's office, easily 30 metres of UTP cable.
Because of a previous adventure with WiMAX, there was already 20 metres
of cable running from my computer to that same room.

My father also made a box for a socket into the wall, so I stuck an 8P8C
('RJ-45') socket on the cable, stuck another wireless router to it, put
a double 8P8C socket on the roof, and again a single 8P8C socket near my
computer. I used this funny tool that you need for 8P8C sockets, stuck a
cable between the double sockets on the roof, and...

It worked. First time around. Amazing.

- Peter