New Mix

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Oct 26 02:24:39 CET 2008

Guess I'll have to give away a couple of well-known mix secrets. Ok,
here it goes:

SoS Mix Rescue - Today we have M@, a talented multi-instrumentalist who
sent us a track (Note to editor: Can we post the track without loosing
our corporate advertisers?).

The issues discussed here include a clash between the vocal recording
and the guitar tracks. Both occupied pretty much the same spectrum with
lots of energy in the higher mids. An additional issue was the bass
sound getting in the way of the leads.

First, let's have a look at the bass. It has been recorded / amped
relatively bright. While it didn't directly clash with the rhythm
guitar, it added to the overall brightness of the track. So drastic
measures were taken: The bass was sent through an analog filter box:
First a 6db HP stage with resonance to clean up the sub end while
reinforcing the lows. That section was overdriven as well. Section two
then is a 12db LP to get rid of the bright parts. The result is a rather
thick bass that can be mixed a high level without getting in the way of
the vocals or guitars. (This is an artistic choice and open to debate)

Vocals: They are the essence of the song, and therefore need to be
prominent and up-front. A lot of compression did the trick, and a bit of
EQ to reinforce the "body" and some "air". I actually compress the vocal
bus, not the individual voices. So a lot of the original balance may be
shifted and need careful realignment. Not quite sure if that was a wise
choice.

Guitars. Yes, they are the difficult part, because they compete with the
vocals for exactly the same frequency spectrum. There's not much lower
mid in the track that would have allowed me to place them below the
vocals (there's a strong EQ boost there, but I can't boost what's not
there). So I had to dip the frequencies around 1-2k, but more
importantly duck the guitars whenever the vocals are present.
Experimenting with amp settings to get a bit more weight in the rhythm
guitar might help. Your mix was a lot more aggressive because you had
the guitars a lot more prominent, but at the cost of the vocals - and
for this particular song, my vote goes in favor of the text.

So here we are - and I'm certainly looking forward to giving it another
go with fresh ears in a week.

Martin
(Jet-lagged and hungry now...)