Dirty Little Democracy

Gert van Santen EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Oct 15 09:53:25 CEST 2008

Matt Picone schreef:
> http://www.mysticworks.com/tunes/Matt_Picone_-_Dirty_Little_Democracy.mp3
>
> New tune. Had the idea but it was cemented and properly motivated by a
> recent bar talk... I can hear the mastering EQ curve isn't right, but I
> can't sort it out without harbal or better ears. Anyone?
>
> Sonar 8, Superior Drummer 2.0, 8 instances of Guitar Rig 3, Waves SSL
>
> Lyrics below.
>
> DIRTY LITTLE DEMOCRACY

Hey, M@,

Great track, great lyrics, great vocals, great production!

Please note: I checked this on an old hifi system (with big
speakers, though :-)

I think the frequency spectra of the separate instruments are a
bit too full, so they bite each other. There's a bit too much
hi-mid and high frequencies going on in the guitars and drums
(bells of the rides), which hurt the ears a bit, drown the vocals
and make the sound less "warm".
I tried EQ and multiband compression on 1.5 kHz and higher, and I
was able to make the vocals stand out better and get rid of the
"ear pain", but then the whole thing also got muffled a bit.

I would suggest working on separate tracks of guitars and rides,
make a frequency "gap" for the vocals and EQ/compress the guitars
and drums/rides above 1.5 kHz.

I also suggest you make a video clip with images from the
American government and cars (sleep at the wheel - nice
comparison), put the thing on Youtube and enjoy - but do it quick
before it's too late :-)

Wish you had an album out, man... :-)
--

:-)