Yamaha NS-10M vs HS-80M

11010011001 EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Oct 12 08:10:46 CEST 2008

howdy folks,

I got a chance to listen to a pair of NS10's for the first time last night
and I must say, I was quite impressed. I have always read that they are non
flatering which as I understood it, makes your mixes sound like shit so
if mixes sound good on them, it will sound good any where. After hearing
them, I actually quite like the way they sound and quite honestly, the mix
that I heard yesterday wasn't even that great.

The overall sound was flat but not dull. The bass was punchy, mids clear and
highs quite crisp. The overall stereo image had a wide sweet spot but
not too wide like the Mackie HR824. I am thinking of picking up a pair but
of course they are not being made any more but read up on the HS-80M which
are self powered (bonus!) and of course are new and easily available.

Does anyone have any expereince with these two? How different do they sound
and should I go with the HS or NS series?

Larry