The American Coup

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Oct 9 19:14:14 CEST 2008

Niall Munnelly schreef:

> On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 09:15:48PM +0200, Peter Korsten wrote:
>> Name a few world-famous works of art that comes from China. The Great
>> Wall and the Forbidden City don't count. Along the lines of the Mona
>> Lisa or the Sistine Chapel, that sort of thing.
>
> Sorry for the digression, but there's no way this could be
> answered to anyone's satisfaction once you start discussing
> differences in the roles of art in each culture, received
> prejudices in either culture, the fact that Eastern art is
> typically a few rooms in Western museums or the domain of
> private collectors..  It's just not a level playing field,
> well beyond the "horses for courses" argument.

Well then, name one world-famous American piece of art, along the lines
of the two mentioned above.

I'm not judging here, it's just that Europe, and Italy in particular,
has an incredible amount of art and architecture. This comes from the
centuries in which Europe was the dominant power, and all this money
coming from the slave trade is what makes Amsterdam look so unique.

> If any of ye come to Ireland, though, and we can actually
> meet up, let's go to the Charles Beatty library.  You'll
> love it.

And if you come here, I'll take you to the neolithic temples. They
precede Stonehenge and the pyramids by quite a few centuries. Gert and
Martin have been there.

> All of the museums are free here, too.

They used to be Lm 1 here, so they should be around €2.30 now.

- Peter