The American Coup

Niall Munnelly EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Oct 9 13:08:26 CEST 2008

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 09:15:48PM +0200, Peter Korsten wrote:

> Name a few world-famous works of art that comes from China. The Great
> Wall and the Forbidden City don't count. Along the lines of the Mona
> Lisa or the Sistine Chapel, that sort of thing.

Sorry for the digression, but there's no way this could be
answered to anyone's satisfaction once you start discussing
differences in the roles of art in each culture, received
prejudices in either culture, the fact that Eastern art is
typically a few rooms in Western museums or the domain of
private collectors..  It's just not a level playing field,
well beyond the "horses for courses" argument.

If any of ye come to Ireland, though, and we can actually
meet up, let's go to the Charles Beatty library.  You'll
love it.

All of the museums are free here, too.

--
Yours,