The American Coup

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Oct 8 08:41:20 CEST 2008

>> It's this attitude that, if you're poor, it's probably your own
>> fault,
>> that is totally alien to most Europeans.

To be fair, no other nation in the history of the world has allowed
people to go from rags to riches as well as the US has.  It is true
that it takes work, its true that it can be difficult, but the point
is in the US system: it can be done.  So I can understand where the
misguided blame-the-poor-for-being-poor comes from; with such amazing
opportunities for wealth generation as the US used to provide, it does
actually ring .. a little .. true, in my mind, that people shouldn't
stay poor long unless they have a good reason.

;
--
Jay Vaughan