The American Coup

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Oct 7 23:16:49 CEST 2008

Gert van Santen schreef:

(Thunderbird is pissing me off lately. It has decided that some of the
replies I send to the Music Bar should be in HTML, and it takes the
wrong sender as well.)

> I am certainly not pretending I know anything about America, but
> I do hear a lot of stuff lately about this country, that really
> upsets me. A lot.

Well, who are you listening to? That makes a difference as well.

> I am wondering what American subscribers to the music-bar think
> of the things that Naomi Wolf says...
>
> Anyone? Tony, M@?, Andy?

And there's Bill, and with that you've covered the US subscribers. Quite
a few of them left after the, let's call it "heated", debates following
the September 11th attacks.

What you have to bear in mind, though, is that non-Latin America is
quite different from Europe. There's a lot of cultural overlap, of
course, more than with for instance Japan or China, but there are
remarkable differences nonetheless. Could it be that this different way
of looking at things, the different perceptions on either side of the
Atlantic, are at the basis of some of this scare?

- Peter