The American Coup

James R. Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Oct 7 22:59:37 CEST 2008

That should read "the democratic controlled congress *is not* doing much
better."

Damn small keyboards on these eee-pcs.

James R. Coplin

-----Original Message-----
From: music-bar-bounces at lists.music-bar.org
[mailto:music-bar-bounces at lists.music-bar.org] On Behalf Of James R. Coplin
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 3:58 PM
To: 'Music-bar'
Subject: RE: The American Coup

I would say that there is a huge disconnect between media, politics, and
reality as far as how the average American lives their lives.  It is always
amusing when I have European and Asian visitors (I'm an academic so it's
fairly frequently, especially Chinese) who have not been to the US before.
They have fairly strongly formed opinions based on movies, media, music etc.
which do not play out with actual people they run into.  The president
currently has only a 25% approval rating and the democratic controlled
congress is doing much better.  Most folks I know are disgusted all around.
We live our lives and get  on with it.

There is at least a brilliant design built into the government by the
founding fathers.  Deadlock, partisanship, and disagreement.  It means that
typically things don't get done, which is a good thing.  You know what an
efficient government does?  It passes laws and regulations.  Awful stuff.
I'm just riding out the last of the Bush years and then I'll see what
happens.

James R. Coplin