The American Coup

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Oct 7 22:34:00 CEST 2008

Gert van Santen schreef:
> So what do you think of this, Peter: (27 minutes)
>
> http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=_XgkeTanCGI

28 minutes. To be honest, it's not worth my time. The internet is full
of people with Opinions, and few of those are thoughtful.

To get back to my earlier point, I was thinking about the commentary of
Sarah Palin. Now I for one think the woman is totally unsuitable as vice
president, but the comments from the Democratic-leaning columnists are
scathing, ridiculing, and altogether nasty. Obviously, the Republicans
aren't any better. But why this, for want of a better word, hatred? And
even Hollywood stars endorsing this one or the other, and Oprah only
getting the Democrats in her programme. In Europe, such public
endorsements by non-political figures are practically unheard of.

This polarisation I find abhorring. And then all these conspiracy
theories. I mean, they pumped $700bn into Iraq and can't even tackle a
couple of bearded men brandishing Kalashnikovs, they have God knows how
many agencies regulating the financial markets and still it fucks up, so
how in heaven's name would they organise a fascist take-over in a
country with a definite anarchist streak, where the federal government
is distrusted by default?

On YouTube, I'm watching Cirque du Soleil's 'Alegria', which is just a
thing of beauty. I saw them once in Düsseldorf, a chance that I'm still
grateful for. So all this hoo-ha, it just reaffirms my credo of late: "I
don't care."

- Peter