what do people think of this...?

Andrew Robinson EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Nov 15 15:18:46 CET 2008

2008/11/15 Gert van Santen <g.vansanten at chello.nl>:
> Interesting. So according to you the earth will NOT pass through
> the galactic plane in 2012?

That was my intuition from the fact that the milky way appears in the
sky as a wobbly blob not a straight line. Googling 'earth distance
galactic plane ecliptic' gave peer reviewed results from big name
universities in the 65-90 light year range, as well as a large number
of posts on reputable astronomy forums saying 'oh god not another 2012
nutter who's seen that video asking about the plane of the ecliptic'.
Throw in the fact that I've read up a fair bit on Gravity Probe B, and
never seen mention of a 2012 event and I am pretty confident that
unless we invent faster than light travel and move the whole planet 65
light years we are not going to be pasing through anything exciting in
2012, with the possible exception of the Olympic budget limits.

- Andy_R