iPhone: Touch The Wave

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Nov 7 20:00:46 CET 2008

  >> probably you couldn't ring people with the good'ol tascam :)
>
> True, but neither do you need to slosh out €600 for a mobile phone.

Back in those days, if your work gave you a pager (or a phone the size
and weight of a brick) to put you on call, it wasn't considered a great
thing. It was a nightmare, literally.

Hate mobile phones much?
Nobody really needs one.
Those that choose to have one are agreeing to pay ludicrous premiums (or
forcing the caller to pay these premiums) for a service that enslaves
you in too many ways; a service that is cheaper to maintain than wires,
yet costs way more etc.
The argument that "I need one for work" is a lie.
The benefits for emergency use are pretty much pointless unless you
really are going somewhere utterly remote and backward, like Iraq or
Afghanistan.
Or Texas.

If we rely on using these things, we truly lose our ability to make
independent decisions, volition is stupefied, relying on the voice on
the other end to reassure or guide us through every mediocre decision,
through every escalated humdrum moment.

Just to prove the point: My son has one or another for years and has
never phoned home using it (for the supposed emergency) nor have I
phoned him on it. It is just purely an expensive gimmick.

Why do so many love these P'sOS telecom honeypots ? ;)

> against the rather hefty price tag, it's like getting a Lamborghini:
> really cool, but essentially a nice packaging around what the
> competition offers for a fraction of the price.

For free with the service, generally.