iPhone: Touch The Wave

ibi sum EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Nov 7 10:36:03 CET 2008

> As per usual, I'll do the devil's advocate: :)

I didn't know you had an iPhone!

>>Just installed "Touch The Wave" (iPhone App) and it looks like we're
>>really getting some amazing tools here . .
> The interface is crap, there's no way you can do a performance of any kind
> on it.

Certainly you can!  I spent an hour last night making loops and using
it to find nice bits of jam sessions that I wanted to jam further
over, while the iPhone looped away.  It was awesome for that!

>Look at Protein on NDS to see what a real usable portable scratch
> tool is. I'll take you on a battle whenever you want !

I have Protein, since the first days of its release, and yes - its
good, too.  Probably it is better for scratching, but for finding
loops and interesting bits of sessions recordings, I think TTW is
pretty much a lot better.

> I got one word for you: Sandbox. I.e. either he does that or he has to
> develop a conduit to let people upload their sound in the software. It's a
> pain in the but, not a miracle.

I'm starting to think, with more and more of a web-interface-to-files,
that this is not such a big problem as people are making it out to be.
 I mean, its no big deal to set up a local networked web server to
your main archive of files - surely, you don't expect the iPhone to
have a file browser?  With a bigger studio rig to do all the
maintenance, the iPhone becomes a really fun *TOY* to use to access
that data, and I think more toys are needed in the modern studio,
personally.

Last night I set up my linux machine to serve up about 100 megs of
samples from various session recordings I've done over the years, then
I sat back on the couch with headphones and my iPhone, and browsed the
lot of it .. and you know what, I haven't been so relaxed and chilled
out while listening to my tracks in a long time.  I think the
ergonomics of a pocket-device (could easily have been the NDS too,
here here) are really compelling for a modern musician, personally.

j.