more music made with webcam ..

James R. Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat May 31 15:12:08 CEST 2008

Additionally, this seems *worse* for performance than the boring interfaces
already in existence.  I would much rather do this on my Schaltwerk, P3, or
any of the sets of pads I have laying around.  A breeze and his whole
controller goes away.  Whenever you reach in to move a step, a bunch of
other stuff gets triggered.  I see that the tech behind all this tracking
stuff is cool, but I'm not seeing anything that would actually help me make
music better.

I'm still in the boat with Tony that what is needed is not more interfaces,
it's more musicianship.  It's easy to get a new wizbang, edgy interface.
It's much more difficult to actually sit down and spend the time with your
instrument and learn to play it.  Until people are willing to spend the
time, it's just a bunch of wank.  You can talk about the democratization
that digital has brought with the laptop, small studio etc.  All of these
are great.  However, it also means that many more people wanking and making
crap.  If you have an instrument you actually have to play, you either
wrestle with it give up.  Most of this other stuff and the tech means you
don't have to commit and make a choice.  You can wank and pat yourself on
the back.  Oh look at the pretty I made... Rubbish.

James R. Coplin

Work is the Curse of the Drinking Class