more awesome sound-making stuff from cameras ..

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri May 30 10:31:43 CEST 2008

Peter

Peter Korsten wrote:
> What's this obsession with 'new interfaces'? Does is make *music*
> better? Isn't music nothing more that putting notes, pauses and - let's
> be generous - sound effects in a certain order?

I think you're missing an extremely important point: Expressivity. What
you describe is how music is written on a sheet of paper. Play it
exactly as written, and it will be soulless (anybody else here collected
general midi files at some point in their life?)

So one very important part of the interpretation of these notes, pauses
and sound effects is the performance. Traditional instruments are
extremely expressive because of the nuances and the very intimate
control that is possible. Electronic instruments, however, are still
essentially stuck with the keyboard+slider input metaphor that works for
some sounds, but doesn't cover a very wide range. Until we find new
interfaces, electronic instruments will never be more than a piano with
a strange sound.

Mind you, I'm not easily excited by yet another noise source (the
example shown is rather boring in my opinion), but unless we experiment
in all different directions, electronic instruments will never mature.

Bye
Martin

--
http://www.navisto.ch