Parallel Compression/processing (was mixing course)

punkdISCO EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed May 21 21:43:44 CEST 2008

Hey, lovers..

"I've always wondered if there would be audible phase cancelations, though
-can you address that, Paul?"

"I don't like all the frequency cancellation you get when the compressed
signal gets mixed in"

Yeah, when I watched this demo I thought "yuck!".  Defo did not get that on
the course and our tutor used the same sends approach in Logic with a Waves
compressor.

Funny enough, this morning I read about this again in Future Music (of all
places!).  They even went on to mention possible phase issues and said if
this occurs, simply copy the track and compress the copy rather than using
sends to a bus that is compressed.

I guess it will just be a matter of trial and error.  Some DAWs with some
VSTi processors will have phasing issues, others will not.  If you get them,
Im sure copying the track will resolve it..

Ta,

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk