The Vista Experience...

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue May 20 21:49:17 CEST 2008

Ok, I gave in to a craving for a bit more processing power. It was
triggered by the need to replace Ilona's 8 year old laptop with
something more up-to-date, providing me with the excuse to hand down my
old desktop to her and get something shiny for me... Having had good
experience with Dell in the past (they're not the best, but they
generally work and are cheap enough...), I got a slightly used XPS 420
with 2.4GHz Quad core, 4GB RAM and big fat graphics card (8800GTX) that
I expanded with a 1TB disk. Although not advertised as a low-noise
machine and equipped with a beefy graphics system, it is actually
surprisingly quiet - a good deal better than other machines I used that
were advertised as "low noise" and cost a good deal more.

This being a 2008 machine, it obviously came with Vista Home Premium. So
how is it?

First of all, I should mention that Vista was a surprisingly painless
experience so far (exception later). Essentially, everything just
worked. I can't tell yet how much of that was due to me getting rid of a
lot of old software in the process - many small bits and pieces
accumulated over the year that are simply no longer required. I also
gave in to the craving for a flashy experience, turning on the full
treat of visual effects - with the super-fast graphics board, the
machine doesn't give a sweat. Vista has a lot of neat little details
that I greatly enjoy, particularly the new explorer works well with my
multi-GB photo collection, but also the neat pen features when using a
tablet.

Of course there were also some victims on the way. The first was my
trusty old HP Laserjet 5P with a parallel port - well, the XPS only has
USB. So it's been passed down as well, of course it's still on the
network... A more expensive problem turned out to be my audio system:
The MOTU PCI-324 card only works in 5V PCI slots - so that's a
non-starter. Luckily, I scored two used 1224 interfaces that came with a
more recent PCIX-424, which I just installed and tested successfully, so
my MOTU rig works again and got even better... Then came the two emagic
AMT8 interfaces. Since being bought Apple, there obviously wasn't any
more development, so I'm stuck with drivers from 2001 - even before XP.
While they installed fine, there are some issues. For a start, I have to
go and hack the registry to change any settings - that's fine with me.
But more annoyingly, I can only let an application open the drivers
once, then it hangs on the second try, requirig a system reboot. It
seems that I can get the thing running ok if I keep turning off the
interface between application starts, but this is clearly not good.

So after about two week of playing around with the new machine, I'm a
happy man. Especially photo processing (RAW->JPG conversion) is
blazingly fast, and while I haven't really put the audio rig through the
paces, it seemed rather bored when I run the last big mix that was
clearly pushing the limits of the old system. Even at 2.7ms latency,
there was absolutely no problem - and I'm curious how much further down
I can go before it drops out (the fastest setting is less than 1ms). Of
course, long-term reliabiliy has still to be determined...

Bye
Martin