I chuckled

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri May 16 20:57:48 CEST 2008

Peter Korsten wrote:
> And proper tyres. My mountain/city bike has special 'city' tyres, which
> have practically no profile, similar to a racing car or motorcycle.
> Can't remember what the price was, but nothing out of this world, pretty
> much like any other tyre on such a bike.

Ja. They cost from about £12 upwards each (probably translates to Euros
directly)

It's the first thing I changed/bought too.
But I just got narrower treads, not the slicks, because I tend to go off
the road and the tracks are rocky/loose (from 2.3" treads to about
1.6-1.8").
I've put the rear 2.3" Kenda back on the rear recently as my fitness has
improved drastically and can still cruise comfortably up to 22 mph on
roads. It's as fast as the gear ratios will allow within reason + the
road has to be good..and the wind favourable ;) A strong headwind can
really annoy most days...most days I seem to cycle out into a headwind
and cycle back into the same headwind, lol..

I had a few close ones and a nearly nasty head-first crash due to the
narrow rear tread kicking away to the side on loose rock tracks. No
good. Wider at the back, tidy up front, like the quintessential lady :)

I changed pedals to those SPD things with sils, but alas, within 3 cycle
trips I had knackered the bearings! Liked them, but too miffed to replace.

I've wrecked a few chains, might need a new one soon..
And the brake pads needed changed last week after 3 years of use!
Good as new.

I quite like the bike now as is. The only thing that would improve it
significantly is a lighter/better set of front sus. forks, expensive..