VNC Mac help

Michael Zacherl EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun May 11 16:01:46 CEST 2008

On May 11, 2008, at 2:43 PM, Ron West wrote:

>> What port is used ... I don't know by heart ... find that and try
>> to do a
>> telnet <port#> to that and see if it gets connected this way for a
>> test.
>> HTH,  m.   (gotta go)
>
> 5900 is the port that VNC uses. how do i do a telnet?

Start Applications/Utilities/Terminal.

In this window you get a prompt like     <computername>:~ <user>$
After that prompt enter

        telnet <remote computer> 5900

Here that looks like

$ telnet papple.local 5900
Trying 192.168.1.103...
Connected to papple.local.
Escape character is '^]'.
RFB 003.889

That means I'm connected.
You can quit Terminal programm then.

If the connection is broken (for my test here I just pulled the
ethernet cable) it looks lke

Trying 192.168.1.103...
telnet: connect to address 192.168.1.103: Operation timed out
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

If this happens and I can ping the remote computer nevertheless, there
is a problem with this port.
It's either the wrong IP-address  (you're connecting from outside and
try to connect to a router or something else) or there's a filter
active you don't know of.
Something like this.

Could your mother try to vnc to herself? Does this work?
Looks like video feedback here, but it works (be fast with quitting
the chicken ;-) .

      HTH, Michael.

--
feed your perception: http://blauwurf.at