A bit of a Linux journey (Dave's distro-hopping redux)

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Mar 16 12:58:12 CET 2008

> So, first stop - since I've been using Ubuntu Studio 32-bit
> (http://ubuntustudio.org/) on my laptop with a relative degree of
> success, I
> thought I'd see if there was a 64-bit edition - which there is.
> But while
> reading reviews of it, I remembered that actually I'm not
> completely happy
> with Ubuntu Studio.  I think it's quite promising, but despite doing
> relatively little with it so far, I've already encountered a few
> seemingly
> silly problems which made me question whether it was what I really
> wanted to
> use.  I'm sure once it gets past it's teething stage, it'll
> probably improve,
> but at the moment I'm not quite convinced by it.

I've used Ubuntu Studio extensively for over a year now, and I don't
know what you're talking about.  What are these issues, Dave?

We just boot it up, fire up the 3 or 4 softsynths of interest (pd,
zynaddsubfx, asynth, hydrogen), our sequencer of choice (seq24) and
away we go.. instant jam, no fuss.

So I'm very curious about your issues.

> Ubuntu has certain limitations which have advantages for ease of
> use, but
> Ubuntu Studio trips over itself a bit and thus for me loses those
> advantages
> a fair bit, prompting me to ask whether it's actually worth it!?
> (I'll admit
> it's a fine line, but I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my Linux
> boxes.)

This 'perfectionism' I suppose is inapplicable to me, because I don't
use UbuntuStudio as my main production system - just for music
jamming when I'm at Stans place. Since I have a linux box at work (it
freakin' rocks ass), and a Linux system at home for development
reasons, I don't get too fussy about the way UbuntuStudio is set up
and configured - it just plain works for me..

> The live CD worked great, and the install was even easier than
> 64studio.  I'm
> pleased to report that so far I'm extremely happy.  Admittedly it's
> early
> days yet - this is only the second day I've been using it - but so
> far it's
> great!

Realtime kernel?

> Ubuntu Studio - while it looks promising and certainly doesn't
> suck, I'm not
> convinced by it just yet, though I'll be keeping it on my laptop
> for now
> anyway.

I'm interested in hearing your continued experiences with this
distro.  I'm surprised - a little - that you've got this conclusion -
for me UbuntuStudio is so far really a solid, stable Linux OS for
musicians and artists ..

> I expect I'll still do most of my music work in Windows, but Linux
> has some
> pretty interesting music software available for it, and I hope as
> time goes
> on that'll get better and better and I'll use it more.  (In fact,
> I'm sure
> that this is already accellerating thanks to the influx of Linux
> users on
> Ubuntu.)

I just finished setting up my home studio, completely, for the first
time since arriving in Vienna, and I've got a Mac OSX setup and a
Linux setup for both options .. so stay tuned for more details about
this too ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan