Mail.app Woes

Michael Zacherl EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Mar 13 13:11:11 CET 2008

On Mar 12, 2008, at 8:25 AM, Peter Korsten wrote:
> What exactly happens? Do you get an error message (and what does it
> say?), or is the mailer constantly in a 'Contacting server...' state?

"contacting server", connection problems. Occasional mail downloads
happend but it took hours to get all of them.
The evening before ysterday it just started to trouble, while the Mac
next to it on the table had no problems with Seamonkey.
To narrow it down I installed Thunderbird on the same machine then and
it was fine while Mail.app still had connection problems.
I wasn't sure if it was my provider so I configured my university
account but this one had problems as well on Mail.app while TB was fine.
By yesterday evening the problem just disappeared.
Just before I wanted to continue to track it down. Well ...
I opened a ticket at my provider's support center, they offered to
"move my account to the newest mail server".
Whatever this implies (do they know that there are issues with certain
clients?) ... I declined that offer.

> If the latter is the case, open a command-line shell and type 'netstat
> -a' (without the quotes). Do you see SYN_SENT somewhere? If so, to
> what
> host name?

sorry, too late.

> Maybe you've set that Mail.app will only use encrypted/secure
> connections?

I already tried, didn't change anything (could have been a change on
the provider's sider, but then again Thunderbird had no problems.

    Thanks for your inputs, Peter!  :-)

On Mar 12, 2008, at 9:35 PM, Andy Tarpinian wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2008, at 3:25 AM, Peter Korsten wrote:
>
>> Michael Zacherl schreef:
>>
>>> Any clues?
>>
>> What exactly happens?
>
> yea what exactly is the problem?

I can't figure what it was ... it's gone since yesterday evening.  :-/
Admittedly it's pretty confusing.

    Thanks, Michael.

--
keep your ears open: http://blauwurf.at