Direct Note Access

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Mar 12 23:33:54 CET 2008

Andy Tarpinian schreef:

> that's exactly what I was just thinking. It will be interesting to see
> at what point it breaks, like if you wanted to take an orchestra
> recording and re-write it to suit your needs, and if it does anything
> cool when it breaks :)

I'd have to see it first, but so far it's only been used (in the video
at least) on chords of the same instrument.

It could work like this: you do a Fourier transformation of the sample
and end up with a bunch of frequencies. Then you run some sort of
pattern recognition on the resulting frequencies, trying to figure out
the base frequencies of the individual notes. Because each note should
have the same distribution of overtones, it should be possible to find
out how each note should sound like, and to extract those notes.

It would be interesting to see how this application would deal with
dissonant frequencies and clipping source material. :)

- Peter