New Muteqx Track - "Neptune"... and it's very different to the last one!

Dave S EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Mar 5 20:06:51 CET 2008

On Tuesday 04 March 2008, Gert van Santen wrote:
> It's more easy to the ears than the
> first track. The style still isn't my
> cup of tea, but I do seem to get used to
> it. Production wise, it sounds great on
> my hifi set.

I had an amusing shock when I had a listen round at my friend's studio.

I've got Tannoy Reveals (passive) and my sub woofer is nothing more than a
relatively cheap one from a computer surround setup.  I really only use the
sub for a bit of testing here and there - don't tend to listen to music in
general with it on.

Anyway, my friend has some Spirit Absolute 2s, and a KRK Rockit 10 subwoofer,
but his sub is hooked up to a different system in his room.  We were
listening to it on the Absolute 2s, and the bass was so big I was totally
convinced that somehow the sub must be on.

So just goes to show, I need to be careful - the Tannoys are pretty bass
light, so I can get rather carried away at times!  The bass on "Neptune" came
out a bit bigger than I realised (although I think it's fine, as the clarity
and power seem to work just right).

One day I might get a proper sub so I can really hear what's going on down
there.  I think I manage OK with my setup as it is, as I'm becoming more
aware of what the characteristics and limitations are.

I've sometimes considered using my bass guitar amp as a sub, just for hearing
the really really low end.  It's a 15" 300w Ashdown, which has almost
house-demolishing amounts of bass (we once used it as the main bass bin for a
small warehouse party, and it was plenty loud enough).  So I'm sure it would
do the job OK, though I'm not sure how much it would colour the sound.  I
guess it's one of those things I could try occasionally, but probably
shouldn't rely on too much when mastering.  Still, maybe I'll give it a try
and see what it sounds like.  :-)

Another friend of mine has some Mackie HR-824s, which are amazing... possibly
a bit too amazing!?  I'm looking forward to checking my mixes on those,
because they show up absolutely everything.

> Checked it and did the friend thing.
> I also listened to the other song again
> (the first), and, well, I even start to
> like certain parts, it seems ;-)

Cool!  I don't think I'll be generally writing in that kind of style - the
Tron theme (and associated darkness) was just an idea that came to me, bit of
a one-off.

Cheers,

~Dave