Software vs. Hardware

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jun 29 13:43:51 CEST 2008

Søren Knudsen schreef:

> The reason I wonder is that as the mouse is a relative positioning tool, then
> for the user to click a virtual button, it is a lot more work to do it, if
> first, the user has to grab the mouse and position - it's sort of like two
> motor-control tasks. This disadvantage isn't present in a work-environment
> with only a computer (or at least not in the same degree...).

Hmm, I don't think I see it the same way. The two main advantages of
physical interfaces over virtual ones:
* You can *feel* the control under your fingers. There is no such
feedback with a mouse
* You don't have to look at a control to use it. Try that with a mouse.

And you can control several faders with one hand, but it's a minor issue
compared to the above two.

A mouse is a very generalised control interface. For every specific
application (drawing, making music, shooting people) you can find a
better alternative - but that alternative would be limited to that
specific area. I wouldn't want to play Counter-Strike with a tablet, for
instance.

- Peter