Software vs. Hardware

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jun 26 22:07:07 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Matt Picone <matman at mysticworks.com> wrote:
> We all know how hardware buttons, knobs and slider controls improve the music making process over straight software.

I dont know how you mean that.  If you mean that its better to play
notes on a synth controller than it is to enter them via laptop
keyboard, then I am with you.

I am afraid I have fallen to the camp that says software with a good
controller can sound just as good as a dedicated hardware synth.  Ive
actually sold most of my synths, save for a few analogs, because the
PC sounds just as good as any VA synth I have played.

> Why aren't controls like these adapted for graphic design, word Processing, CAD, etc.?

They are.  My wife uses a graphic tablet for her photoshop work.  CAD
has 3 button mice or drawing tablets, and word processing....well, the
computer stole its interface from the first word processor - the
typewriter - so I dont know how you could get more specialized than
that..

Tony