Stick

Michael Zacherl EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jun 25 16:33:28 CEST 2008

On Jun 25, 2008, at 3:15 PM, Tony Hardie-Bick wrote:

> Michael Zacherl wrote:
>> so you left the capacitors with the resonant filters?
>> Did you fine tune the filters? By ear, I asume.
>
> I tried fixing the frequency, but eventually found that, as new
> strings get
> played, they lose the top end, and so continuously variable
> frequency was good
> for this, and, of course, if one must have potentiometers, then, one
> may as well
> make use of the dull/bright sonic pallette that becomes available.
> The resonance
> is fixed, though. Slightly more on the bass side.

So it doesn't interfere with the fundamentals?
Should work if you tuned the filter a bit flat.
OTOH, your caps across the pickups, what's their tolerance?
Or put this way, how many did you try until you were happy with that
resonance?

> The result of a mere 12
> different prototypes, paranoia, and endless testing.

hehe, what else?  ;-)

>> or thinking of a six-string bass being played in the high notes?
>
> That is a bit different again - a very nice sound, but thicker than
> what I am
> after. The harmonics on such high-played bass strings are very sharp
> compared to
> the integer ratio. An excellent aesthetic ("Walk on the Wild Side",
> is a good
> example).

What about muted sounds, how does their harmonic structure change,
when the Stick is modified this way?

>> uhm .. errm ... well ... naah ... I would take that as a
>> challange ;-)
>> Your original circuit relies on the crappy 741s ... if I only could
>> swap the noise for more dynamics.
>
> The crappy 741s are awesome for distortion.

"crappy" in terms of "I'm a good OpAmp" ;-)
I'm remember that, we talked about that in Frome.
I just got this idea to get best of both worlds.
My experiments will show whats possible (or what I can achieve) ...

> If you need more dynamic range,
> there's plenty to choose from, especially if you don't have to run
> from a 250mAH
> 9V battery!

Nah, I'm bound to +/-15V. So that's no issue.

>> BTW, do you join the gang in Cambridge?
>
> Looks like it :)

hmm ... lets stick together ... errm ... ;-)

    Looking forward to ...   m.

--
noise chaser: http://blauwurf.at