Some Photos from Ireland

Chris Strellis EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jun 17 09:13:32 CEST 2008

Niall,

> I set up Zenphoto on my site, and now I'm taking it out on
> you cats.  There are two galleries, showcasing the mountains
> of the Slieve Mish in co. Kerry and the eerie Karst
> landscape in co. Clare, the Burren.  Lovely country out
> here.

Lovely photos of The Burren.

A classic limestone pavement.

The limestone slabs are called "clints" and they are isolated by deep
trenches called "grikes"

"Clints and grikes" sounds like a DJ double act ;)

I remember this from my A Level Geology.  I've seen examples of this at
Malham Cove in Yorkshire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malham_Cove

As an aside - I live in a small town called Clare although that's in the
county of Suffolk not County Clare ;)

I certainly enjoyed the time I holidayed in the Galway area some 15
years ago.  It's the first holiday I took with my girlfriend at the
time.  She's now my wife and mother of my children.... ahhhhh... or is
that arrgghhh!!
Perhaps there's something in the water there..?

Cheers

Chris