Até Mais, Lisbon

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jun 14 14:39:45 CEST 2008

K9 Kai Niggemann schreef:

> there are things written into the constitution and the reform treaty
> that are just outrageous. neoliberal economy is the grand standard for
> the EU. nothing is allowed that "distorts the market". Then member

The thing is, there are a lot of things happening in Europe that distort
the market. Mostly, we're talking about artificial boundaries, permits,
all that sort of thing that particularly Italy is good at, with layer
upon layer of bureaucracy and red tape, that makes it impossible to open
a business in less than a year's time. Especially if you're a foreigner.

> countries sign that they will increase their military armament. Then

Because Europe's defence largely relies on the USA. Whist it would be
great to live in a world where we don't need armies, this is not the case.

If you haven't seen the writing on the wall, the USA is rethinking its
involvement in the defence of Europe. Already much of their capacity
here has been decreased.

> there is something that is truely incredible: the deathpenalty. Only
> in certain cases (during war or the danger of war (wtf?? does that
> include war on terror?), riots and revolutions.
>
> What's worse is that the EU-council can decide over the death-penalty
> in such times and this surely isn't the most democratically legitmated
> part of the EU...

Ah, I've done a bit of researching, and this is a typical case of
completely misunderstanding/deliberately misinterpreting that footnote.
Unless you're in favour of the death penalty, you have no reason to be
against that paragraph including the footnote. This is the thing I hate
so much about the scaremongering.

For one thing, the Lisbon Treaty does not supersede a country's
constitution. So Article 114 of the Dutch constitution ("the death
penalty cannot be given") still stands.

And if you'd done some research yourself into the death penalty in
Europe and in the EU in particular, you would have known that everywhere
it's either suspended, abolished for normal crimes, or abolished
completely, with the exception of Belarus. And if you want to join the
EU, you need to abolish it *for normal crimes*.

The crux is 'for normal crimes'. Some countries still retain the right
to apply the death penalty for crimes during times of war, or rioting,
or upheaval. So if the paragraph had just read that the death penalty
cannot be applied, this would imply that every country would have
acceded to the 13th protocol (unconditional abolition under all
circumstances). And this is unfortunately not the case.

So next time, do your homework first. And yes, I'm pissed, because it's
such a typical example of why such a treaty gets rejected for all the
wrong reasons, because certain people will find *anything* to argue
against it, and quite happily distort the truth in order to reach their
goal.

> The part abot the neo-liberal economy was one of the main reasons that
> France and the Netherlands rejected the EU-constitution. Almost the

Wrong. In the Netherlands, it was dissatisfaction with the current
government, and a general anti-immigrant and anti-EU sentiment growing,
fuelled to no small extend by populist policies.

I can't comment on France, but the Polish plumber and ascension of
Turkey were used as the main arguments against.

> exact same wording is used now in the reform treaty. This smacks of
> undemocratic bullshit. Now German politicians are saying how
> undemocratic it is, that only 53 percent of less than one percent of
> the EU-population voted against the treaty -- instead of thinking
> about how undemocratic it is to shove a constitution down our throats
> that has been renamed, relabled and made less readable -- but rejected
> by two major member countries of the EU...

And accepted by a much larger majority of the EU, including referendums
in Spain and Romania.

The outset was to replace the multitude of treaties that are already in
place, but no longer working well enough for a 27-member bloc, by one
new treaty. It's not the creation of a European super-state, not with
countries like Denmark, Sweden, the UK and Austria in it.

> I think there might be valuable things inside the reform treaty/
> constitution for the years to come. But why is there so much Lobby-
> bullshit, why the deathpenalty and why the rearmament?

See above.

> If they would have more referendums I think many many more countries
> would reject the treaty. They don't ask us. For a good reason...!

Exactly: because people don't get informed about it. Your rambling on
about the death penalty is an typical example of that.

- Peter