Até Mais, Lisbon

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jun 14 13:44:55 CEST 2008

Martin Naef schreef:

> Peter Korsten wrote:
>> Referendums suck because they are, almost by definition, a conservative
>> tool. Safer to vote 'no' if you don't really know what it's about.
>
> Well, they force the politicians to get off their backsides and go out
> and *explain* to people what it's all about. It's hard work, but if want
> a democracy (instead of a competition of who looks best on a poster),
> there's no way around it.

Which, with the exception of perhaps Switzerland, is not something the
population or politicians are used to.

What irks me most is that the reasons why the treaties were voted down
in referendums had little to do with the treaties themselves. In case of
the Netherlands, national politics were the biggest factor.

- Peter