On this WWDC day

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jun 10 18:30:11 CEST 2008

Andy Tarpinian schreef:

> But also
> lets not forget the iPhone is only now being marketed more as a
> business class phone we shall see what happens.

We shall indeed. Still, it looks like they didn't do nearly as well with
the iPhone as they'd hoped. There was no momentum from the iPod carrying it.

> I have set up and used tons of blackberrys at work - I like them for
> what they are, they are very reliable if hardcore email is the sole
> thing you want them for, but honestly using an iPhone just blows RIM
> out of the water in so many ways in my opinion. Apple is the number 3
> smartphone maker worldwide after just 1 year, and let's not forget
> they are creating new markets.

But what are the percentages we're talking about? Number 3 sounds nice,
but my impression is that everything other than Blackberry and Nokia
played a really insignificant role in the smartphone market.

And don't forget that business phones get bought by companies, not by
their employees. So it's not the employee that can choose whatever he
wants (although quite a few of my colleagues have an N95, which is more
of a gadget phone than the more usual E61i), but the company. And they
are not impressed by features (where the iPhone 2 still is rather
unimpressive), but by bottom-line cost.

So will Apple be able to score the big-earning corporate contracts?

- Peter