On this WWDC day

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jun 10 03:05:11 CEST 2008

> Ah I see, I know it from the windows mobile phone I had, thankfully
> never had to use it. But I think in this case, Apple did not have a
> choice? They are trying to integrate themselves into the enterprise
> technology that is already there.

The way I see it, they needed *something* and RIM certainly wasnt
going to let them (or anyone) use their system.  This was the best
they could do, without trying to build something and sell it as one
*more* server an organization would need.

> but can it really do everything Mobile me can do, and here's the key
> point, for the average user?

The google stuff is *extremely* simple.  My mother uses it.  My wife
uses it, and (of course) I use it.  you simply install an application
on your blackberry and your windows machine that handles keeping
things in sync.  It keeps my outlook in sync, which (via the RIM
server we have at work) keeps my blackberry in sync.  My wife and I
use the shared google calendar and its been really sweet and easy.

Google has Picasa web for images, btw.  I think its only 1gb of space
without paying for it though.  Even then, its $75 for 40gb of space.

The e-mail is 7gb of free space, and they keep increasing the space
all the time.  WIth this move, I would be really surprised if Google
doesnt more tightly integrate what they already are offering and up
the storage allocation.  I havnt come close to filling my allotment in
any case.

Tony