Freaky Gear: SMART Hybrid

Andrew Robinson EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jun 2 21:22:48 CEST 2008

I have no idea... they are probably great for mid-sized cars. Smart's
problem is that it's the only car in it's size class, so when the
accountants forced Smart to buy in another company's engine instead of
continuing development of the excellent 599/699cc engine that Mercedes
used to build specifically for the Smart, they only had a choice of
unsuitable ones. They went with a 999cc Mitsubishi engine that's
bigger, heavier, and less powerful, and ended up making the current
model bigger than the old one to accommodate it.

- Andy_R